Images by endall elliot.
The Chilliwack YMCA serves more than 6,500 people each year—4,000 at the Hocking Avenue location alone. But the needs of the community are growing and the existing facility is outdated. That’s why we are working with the City of Chilliwack, residents, businesses, community service providers and other stakeholders to create an expanded and updated YMCA Centre of Community—a place to continue building resilient kids and strong families.
Together, we can leverage the power of community to support one another, tackle our most pressing issues and provide more life-enhancing programs so everyone can thrive.
The new Chilliwack YMCA will be 36,700 square feet, 25% bigger than the current facility. The eastern side of the building will be demolished and re-built anew while the rest of the Y will be dramatically improved. With this expansion, you will enjoy the same programs you know and love at the Y as well as new programs:
- Physical literacy programs to help kids develop critical movement skills
- More adult group fitness classes
- Expanded pool hours
- More swimming lessons
Click for large image of first floor.
Spaces designed to help you learn, be active and get connected
Here’s what will be new:
- Gymnasium (4,250 sq. ft.)
- Five multipurpose rooms (totalling 4,650 sq. ft.)
- Conditioning floor (5,700 sq. ft.)
- Social area to connect with your family and community (600 sq. ft.)
- CycleFit studio (950 sq. ft.)
- Family/Universal change room (1,800 sq. ft.)
- Outdoor playground (1,000 sq. ft.)
Here’s what will be significantly renewed:
- Expanded lobby and welcome area (1,500 sq. ft.)
- Group fitness studio (1,950 sq. ft.)
- Stretching and adaptive space (1,250 sq. ft.)
- Childminding area (900 sq. ft.)
- Pool (4,600 sq. ft.)
Click for large image of second floor.
Everybody is welcome
The new lobby and welcome area is a place for the whole community to connect, whether you are meeting up on the way to class, or chatting with old or new friends.
Click for large image of entry.
The Y is here for everyone to reach their potential
- The elderly
- The young at heart
- The next generation
- Long timers
- Bus Drivers
A place where children thrive and parents gain peace of mind
The enhanced preschool and childminding spaces will be bright and welcoming—helping your child grow up strong through activities that help them develop socially, physically and mentally. Kids will play and learn in a safe environment, and parents can rest knowing their children are being supported by professionals who care. We free you up so you can pursue your own health by participating in a class, going for a swim or meeting friends in the facility. The childminding room will provide access to the outdoor playground while large windows let natural light in to brighten the day.
Click for large image of childminding space.
Open rooms, open arms
The renewed YMCA has been specifically designed so that a variety of programs can take place in our five multipurpose rooms. Rooms are designed to shrink or expand based on the needs of the class. The open atrium area that connects to the multipurpose rooms and leads to the conditioning floor allows community to be built both within program spaces and shared spaces while you move through the building seamlessly.
Click for large image of atrium.
More room to get moving
All adults can experience optimal health as they age in a variety of ways on the brand new conditioning floor. The equipment you know and love as well as a CycleFit studio and group fitness studio, will help you reach your fitness goals and have fun doing it.
Click for large image of strength and conditioning floor.
Space and support to make being active a little easier
A change room designed with you and your family in mind, the new family/universal change room helps you feel comfortable and has what you need to get the most out of your time at the Y. This change area includes oversized lockers as well as numerous large, private change spaces so you can help your kids get ready for the pool. If you have special needs, this space also provides you with additional supports to help you be active and enjoy your time at the Y.
Click for large image of family/universal change room.
The new Y will open summer 2018!
In order to build the new Y, we need to temporarily close the facility starting July 1, 2017. We will remain open until that time. During the temporary closure, the Y will offer limited pop-up programming and events at other locations in Chilliwack at no cost to members. The first pop-up schedule will be available in May 2017.
Keep in mind:
- No membership fees will be charged during the temporary closure.
- Members who remain with the Y until June 30, 2017 will maintain their current membership rate for one year following the opening of the new Y.
- Member fees will not change in 2017. The rates will remain the same as they are today.
- We will publish the reopening 2018 fees by May 1, 2018.
- During the temporary closure, members may use their membership to redeem program discounts for other Y programs, including YMCA Camp Elphinstone, day camps, etc. You may also access other YMCA facilities in the Lower Mainland and across Canada at no cost to you.
Want to be in the know?
We are committed to communicating with you so that you are as excited about the new Chilliwack YMCA as we are.
Got a question or concern? Talk to any member of our team or Karen Price, Director of the Chilliwack YMCA.
We would love to hear what really matters to you!
604.792.3371 ext. 2402