The YMCA is working with the City of Coquitlam to bring a YMCA to the Burquitlam community. We believe this special place can be a part of each resident's day—a safe centre of community where children and families can be themselves, meet people, feel connected to their community and get the most out of life.
We are deeply committed to the three problems that make it challenging for families to grow up strong: vulnerability, inactivity and isolation.
Coquitlam is growing rapidly and becoming increasingly diverse:
- 81,000 more people are expected in the next 20 years (62% growth in population)
- Second fastest school district growth in BC
- Evergreen Skytrain line is expected to be complete in 2016
- 40% of residents are born outside of Canada
The residents of Burquitlam, the City of Coquitlam, current service providers and the YMCA can come together to introduce programs that will build resilient kids, strong families and leverage the power of community so that, together, we can reach our full potential.
The YMCA will be a 50,000-60,000 square foot modern facility—a hub to enhance healthy lives and strengthen Coquitlam for generations of children and families. We are in the process of consulting the community to design your YMCA. However, a typical YMCA provides access to:
- Dedicated active lifestyle spaces: gymnasium, fitness studios, yoga studio, strength and conditioning zones
- Change rooms that cater to all ages and abilities, including family change rooms
- Warm water tank for teaching and therapeutic rehabilitation and a pool for exercise
- Whirlpool and steam rooms
- Café, lounge and community spaces
- Family Development Centre
- Multi-purpose rooms, classrooms and meeting rooms
To learn more about the YMCA project in Coquitlam, please contact: