The Tong Louie Family YMCA serves more than 26,000 people each year. While we have been a part of the Surrey community since 1973, we opened the Tong Louie Family YMCA facility in 2002. But the needs of the community are growing. The City of Surrey therefore approached the YMCA to discuss the feasibility of a second YMCA in the quickly growing community of Whalley/City Centre. Surrey is rapidly growing and highly diverse:
- 1 in 4 babies born in BC are from Surrey
- 1,200 people move to Surrey each month
- Surrey City Centre has been identified as Metro Vancouver's second downtown
- North Surrey/Whalley is culturally vibrant with 43% of residents have a mother tongue other than English
Families in Surrey need vital services that enrich their lives and enable their children to reach their full potential.
We imagine a Surrey in which:
- All children and youth are happier and have a higher healthy life expectancy than their parents.
- People know their neighbourhood, respect diversity and social inclusion, and thrive on a sense of belonging.
- We share a sense of social responsibility within our community by working together.
- Families thrive and reach their full potential.
- People experience better health in spirit, mind and body.
To learn more about the new YMCA project in Surrey, please contact: