Table of Contents
The Chilliwack YMCA serves more than 6,500 people each year—4,000 at the Hocking Avenue location alone. But the needs of the community are growing and the existing facility is outdated.
That’s why we are very excited to announce that Chilliwack is getting a new Y! The expanded and significantly upgraded Y will be 25% bigger than the current facility and will help us continue our work in helping children and families reach their potential. By working with the City of Chilliwack, residents, businesses, community service providers and other stakeholders, we believe that we can leverage the power of community to provide more life-enhancing programs so that everyone can thrive.
The new Chilliwack YMCA will be 36,700 square feet. The eastern side of the building will be demolished and re-built anew while the rest of the Y will be dramatically improved. With this expansion, you will enjoy the same programs you know and love at the Y as well as new programs such as:
- Physical literacy programs to help kids develop critical movement skills
- More adult group fitness classes
- Expanded pool hours
- More swimming lessons
Here’s what will be new:
- Gymnasium (4,250 sq. ft.)
- Five multipurpose rooms (totalling 4,650 sq. ft.)
- Conditioning floor (5,700 sq. ft.)
- Social area to connect with your family and community (600 sq. ft.)
- CycleFit studio (950 sq. ft.)
- Family/Universal change room (1,800 sq. ft.)
- Outdoor playground (1,000 sq. ft.)
Here’s what will be significantly renewed:
- Expanded lobby and welcome area (1,500 sq. ft.)
- Group fitness studio (1,950 sq. ft.)
- Stretching and adaptive space (1,250 sq. ft.)
- Childminding area (900 sq. ft.)
- Pool (4,600 sq. ft.)
The new Y will open summer 2018!
In order to build the new Y, we need to temporarily close the facility starting July 1, 2017. We will remain open until that time. During the temporary closure, the Y will offer limited pop-up programming and events at other locations in Chilliwack at no cost to members. The first pop-up schedule will be available in May 2017.
Keep in mind:
- No membership fees will be charged during the temporary closure.
- Members who remain with the Y until June 30, 2017 will maintain their current membership rate for one year following the opening of the new Y.
- Member fees will not change in 2017. The rates will remain the same as they are today.
- We will publish the reopening 2018 fees by May 1, 2018.
- During the temporary closure, members may use their membership to redeem program discounts for other Y programs, including YMCA Camp Elphinstone, day camps, etc. You may also access other YMCA facilities in the Lower Mainland and across Canada at no cost to you.
Want to be in the know?
To receive information about the new Chilliwack YMCA project, please sign up for our periodic e-mail updates:
Got a question or concern? Talk to any member of the Chilliwack Family YMCA team or Karen Price, Director of the Chilliwack YMCA. We would love to hear what really matters to you!
604.792.3371 ext. 2402
Schools will be closing for winter break before you know it, but YMCA camps will be in full swing! Join us for fun-filled days of arts and crafts, games, sports and an opportunity to make new friends. Each week includes an exciting out-trip, festive-themed programming and much more!
More than 10 locations available throughout the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley, and don’t forget: YMCA Members save 10% on camp fees!
Daily registration and before/after camp care is available. Limited spaces so register today to secure your dates!
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past month, you've probably heard: the YMCA Megathon arrives at all four facilities this Saturday, November 5. This mega fun event is all about taking on fitness challenges to raise money and ensure every vulnerable kid can access the Y.
To every member who has joined the YMCA Megathon: we thank you for your hard work and dedication to the cause and we can’t wait to see you on Saturday!
Due to this special event, many fitness classes will be cancelled on that day only. To find out exactly which classes will be impacted at your facility, please refer to our website at gv.ymca.ca
or ask for more information at your Member Services desk.
Celebrate exceptional people in your community and get inspired at this year’s YMCA Power of Peace awards happening November 17th at the Norman Rothstein Theatre in Vancouver. This year’s event will feature keynote speaker, Michele Landsberg, one of Canada’s most tireless and effective social justice activists. Discussing issues that others shy away from or ignore, including the plight of women in developing countries and race and gender equality here at home, Landsberg’s work has brought many important issues to light and influenced countless opinion leaders across the country.
The event will also feature MC Amy Beeman from Virgin Radio and special musical guest, Twin Bandit, known for their enchanting voices, acoustic sounds and unique style. Twin Bandit will be joining us fresh off their European tour and their energy will be a perfect fit for paying tribute to all of the amazing peacemakers in our midst.
Join us for what promises to be an entertaining and engaging evening!
Stantec shows they care
Recently, local Stantec
employees celebrated their annual community day by once again giving back to the the YMCA of Greater Vancouver. This year, open-hearted volunteers helped organize a carnival and they made dinner for children and families at the Bob and Kay Ackles YMCA Nanook House. They also built planter boxes at the Woodwards YMCA Childcare Centre. Thank you so much to every Stantec employee who took time away from the office to deepen their roots in our community.
Left: A Stantec employee and a child from Woodwards YMCA Child Care garden together.