Posted 05/06/2017 4:55:44 PM by Gordon Goldsmith
It’s a startling but true fact: drowning is one of the leading causes of preventable death in children. This is why we are promoting water safety in the month of June—before the summer beach season hits.
Here’s what you can do to keep your family water safe:
- Always supervise children when they are near the water, in the pool or at the beach.
- Be careful when swimming near strong currents in the ocean. It only takes a second to be swept away.
- Do not allow children to dive in headfirst unless they are properly trained and the water is deep enough.
- Ensure non-swimmers are always wearing a Personal Flotation Device when near or in the water.
- Never leave a child unattended in the bathtub. Drowning can happen in just two inches of water.
- Make sure children play with care and understand the dangers. Even the friendliest dunking game can be risky.
- Floatation devices aren’t a replacement for supervision. Make sure an adult is watching at all times.
- Be proactive and get trained on First Aid and CPR.
- If you have a swimming pool, make sure your children cannot get into the pool area by having proper fencing and a childproof gate.
- Lifejackets have weight limits. Make sure your lifejacket or PFD is comfortable and light, fits snug and does not ride above your ears. Not sure if it’s fitting properly? A YMCA lifeguard would be happy to check it for you.
- Make sure the entire family learns to swim! There is no substitute for knowing how to swim.
We believe learning to swim is a critical lifeskill and that’s why we’re offering FREE water safety seminars on June 10th, 17th and 24th. You don't have to be a member of the YMCA to take one! Sign up and you will get:
- Essential water safety practices
- Basic survival swimming skills
- Instruction from a highly qualified YMCA instructor
Parents and kids will be put in classes designed to gain confidence and skills to help them get water safe. Afterwards, you will get a skill assessment card along with your swim level.
To get involved, sign up at your nearest YMCA membership desk or call:
- Langara Family YMCA: 604-689-9622
- Robert Lee YMCA: 604-689-9622
- Tong Louie Family YMCA: 604-575-9622
- Chilliwack Family YMCA: 604-792-3371