Ages 5 to 18
There’s nothing quite like the great outdoors. Our Outdoor Education program is designed to get kids active and learning outdoors. Through meaningful experiential learning, kids develop strong and healthy minds and bodies while they learn and grow with friends. With fresh air, open skies, and a diverse ecosystem, the Pacific Northwest is an ideal environment for exploration and discovery.
Operating out of YMCA Camp Elphinstone on BC’s beautiful Sunshine Coast, our Outdoor Education program offers 144 acres of oceanfront property, with natural rainforest, quiet creeks and a rocky shoreline, just a 40‐minute ferry ride from Vancouver and walking distance from the Langdale ferry terminal in Gibsons. The program operates from September to June and is open seven days a week.
Our facilities are available for both day and overnight use and offer:
- Accommodation for up to 450 participants, with accessible lodges and cozy cabins equipped with heat and electricity.
- A large dining hall that serves tasty, nutritious meals, including endless salad and fruit bars.
- Highly skilled staff trained in facilitating quality outdoor learning experiences, available to both instructor support program delivery.
- Large indoor and outdoor meeting spaces, including break out rooms and smaller meeting spaces.
- A fully equipped health centre and office with technology for adult leaders to stay connected.
- Optional luggage and ferry pick‐up service.
Programming is customized for each group and designed to fulfill BC Ministry of Education prescribed learning outcomes. Participants benefit from:
- Structured activities like our discovery hike or marine beach study that teach about marine wildlife or the ecosystem.
- Programming that focuses on skill development such as archery, orienteering or outdoor living skills.
- Activities like our high or low ropes courses that encourage leadership and team building.
- Water‐based programming such as kayaking, canoeing, swimming or fishing.
- Games and sports with an emphasis on physical activity, strategy and teamwork.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone offers an ideal setting for families to focus on what’s most important— spending time together. Family Camp is a great way for families to escape the city without...