The Y at Bear Creek Elementary
Ages 6 to 12
PAWS is in its third school year and located at Bear Creek Elementary. This program aims to support and alter the paths of at risk children within this school community. This program is about Promoting Achievement Within School through offering opportunities to build confidence, self-esteem, positive future goals, leadership skills, and the belief that they can achieve.
PAWS is one of the RBC Academy Programs supported by the YMCA of Greater Vancouver. The RBC Academies are a collection of intensive afterschool programs that operate within and serve the students and families of Surrey School District inner-city schools.
Funded by the RBC Foundation’s After-School Grants Project they help to ensure children and youth access learning and skill development opportunities that will help them stay in school and prepare them for their future. Specific program objectives mandated by the funder are to:
- Encourage and reinforce social skills and recreational skills development, and academic achievement
- Increase self-esteem through skill development activities
- Provide a safe environment
- Encourage and develop links and partnerships between school, home and community
- Provide a free program to participants
- Provide programming designed to assist children and youth in at-risk or underserved communities
Please note that RBC Academy programs are not open for registration. Participants are identified and selected by school administrative staff.
For other after school programs offered by the YMCA, please check our After School Program page.
Time gaps before and after school can be empty and lonely for kids—and a challenge for busy parents. Kids Club before and after school licensed care program offers a healthy solution. Kids not...
Come shoot some hoops with us! Our volunteer-driven league teaches kids the game of basketball with an emphasis on fun and teamwork. Our league offers kids in grades 2-10 the chance to enjoy playing...