Ages 15 to 30
Finding a job is tough – but that’s just the beginning – now you have to keep the job. The YMCA’s Youth Employment Bootcamp program will help you build the skills, strengths and abilities to find a job, keep a job and get you on your career path.
Participants spend four weeks attending paid workshops that focus on a variety of employability and life skills, followed by a 12-week work experience placement. Our goal is to get you working, and we’ll be with you every step of the way!
Participants benefit from paid training and work experience with local businesses, including a training allowance to help cover the cost of attending training sessions. In addition to accessing a variety of employment readiness and job maintenance workshops, participants also benefit from access to vocational training courses and ongoing support during and after the program.
Employers are provided a wage subsidy from the federal government that offers $8.00 per hour of the participant's wages, along with employer-focused training like complimentary workshops and resources that help organizations meet the training needs of entry-level employees.
The program is currently offered at the Tong Louie YMCA in Surrey and the Robert Lee YMCA in Vancouver. Please click on the following links or see below for dates and schedule information for the respective locations.
- Résumé writing, interview skills and workplace skills
- Certificates such as First-Aid, Food Safe, World Host, etc.
- Access to supports such as travel costs, weekly groceries, certifications and skills upgrading
- Six month YMCA gym membership
To be eligible for the program, participants must be:
- 15 to 30 years of age (at start of program)
- Not currently attending school
- A Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident or person on whom refugee status has been confirmed
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Not in receipt of EI benefits or an EI claimant with the past three years
- In need of assistance to overcome employment barriers
Applicants will be screened for program eligibility and must register for an information session.
For more information, interested participants or employers should contact 604-685-8066 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This project is funded in part by the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy - Skills Link Program.
Where It's Offered
Enter your postal code to Find a YMCA location near you that offers this program.