- YMCA Camp Elphinstone
- Type of Position:
- Placement Date:
- End Date:
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Volunteer Counsellor.
Volunteer staffing opportunities at Camp Elphinstone exist in both day camp and overnight camp. As a volunteer, you will receive training in many areas of camp. Counsellors work in pairs and are responsible for meeting the emotional, physical and safety needs of a group of up to 10 campers.
Counsellors are responsible for the planning and delivery of cabin group programs for children aged 5-15. Volunteers are required to participate in pre-camp training and commit to a minimum term of one month. Candidates able to commit to a full summer position are preferred.
- Live in cabins with a co-counsellor and up to 10 campers. Accompany cabin to all programs throughout the day. Provide 24 hour supervision to these campers.
- Plan and deliver safe, fun, and experiential programming appropriate to the ages and abilities of campers. Assist with or take part in camp-wide programming.
- Manage group dynamics and behaviour of the cabin group to ensure the emotional and physical safety of all campers. Ensure that all campers feel supported, safe, and all of their needs (physical emotional, social, medical, and nutritional) are being met.
- Effectively work with a partner and share responsibilities in such a way that each co-counsellor will be able to learn and grow from one another.
- Seek help from a supervisor when it is appropriate or necessary
- Age 17+ by July 1, 2019
- Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- Bronze Cross
- Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- 3 successful reference checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
To apply please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Contact us at 604-886-2025 for more information